Thursday, August 12, 2010

What's in the Name?

Let’s face it, for most of us, life is busy. I've heard it said that busyness is a sickness. Whoever said that may not be far off base! We stock-pile our schedules with just about everything we can think of, convincing ourselves it is all valid and necessary.

Have you ever stopped to notice the way most of us “attack life?" We even attack vacations! Cramming in as many activities as possible…to the point we need a vacation from our vacations!

Interestingly enough, many modern day churches in the Western world also "attack" ministry. Most busy it's faithful members to the point of exhaustion. All in the name of Jesus.

In the midst of all our busyness, we're often fraught with hardships and heartbreaks. What is our reaction most of the time? To busy ourselves with more activities. Or at the least, busy our minds with any one of the many technological devices at our disposal. Anything to drown out the pain.

When do we take the time to breathe?

On the contrary, God invites us to come to Him, and rest. Why is rest a foreign word, or worse, nonexistent in our vocabulary? In Matthew 11:28, Jesus tells us to come to Him when we are weary and over-burdened. The Message reads, "'Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to Me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.'" (verses 28-30)

What might this rest look like?

A recent trouble and hurt in my own life had me reeling in pain and consumed with questions. I tried busying  myself for a while, but it didn’t work. So, I decided to bombard God with my questions. I was busy in a different way, striving hard for answers. I could not rest for lack of them.

While still bent on my own way, I attended a Ladies' Retreat. Thankfully, God seized my attention through a song that Saturday morning… “Come away, come away. My beloved, come away. Come away…My beloved.” “I am waiting for you,” another portion said.

That afternoon, I found a place on a hill where I could sit alone. In the silence I heard, “stop striving,” over and over. Every time I began with another question to God, I heard the words again. So I laid quiet on a bench for while.

Laughter from other ladies riding nearby on a golf cart broke the silence. Their fun enticed me to take a walk into the woods—where I knew horses were often grazing. To my delight, they were in the stables, and happy to see someone coming to greet them! I was elated because I love horses, and usually they are out in the field and won’t come near. They neighed and whinnied, and shook their heads while I stroked their noses and talked to them.

Satisfied with my findings there, I moved on to an obstacle course hidden deeper in the woods. I danced on the balance beam, and did a few cartwheels, glancing around to be SURE no one was watching! Further still was a rope swing, tied high up in the trees. Feeling a bit lighter and more confident (still w/no one around :o)), I grabbed hold of the rope, and placed one foot on the huge knot at the end. Off I jumped from the platform!

I threw my head back as I jumped again and again, enjoying the breeze and freedom it brought. I felt like a little girl again. I smiled to myself, sensing that God was enjoying this moment as much as I was, knowing it was just me and Him together. As if that was not enough, He provided another surprise on the way back. I spied a pile of hay on the other side of the stable. And wouldn’t you know, the horses were starving!

What in the world does this have to do with rest, you ask?

God knows us through and through, and He knows the things we enjoy. Through the simplest things that day—a song, horses, a balance beam, and a rope swing—He wooed me. Lying back on the bench, reflecting, I realized I felt so much lighter and freer. God had called to me through the busyness and heaviness of life to escape with Him; to just enjoy Him, His creation, and myself!

At that particular time and in that way, He brought me rest. Still reflecting, I could hear His invitation to just live, “Breathe life…in and out" He was saying, "…and in this way, know that I am God.” Read the verses from The Message quoted earlier again:

"'Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to Me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.'"

The main mission of this blog is to provide a place where our heart's can rest. And to encourage us to make room for more in our lives. A place where we are quiet enough to hear the invitation: Come…breathe life...

….and Breathe Deeply.

(for more detailed information on the amazing vision of the title words, view the "About (this blog)" tab at the top of the page)

No comments: